60 Beauty Tips For Women Of A Certain Age
60 Beauty Tips For Women Of A Certain Age
By Anna Hessel
Certain Age, Turn The Page…
In honor of Women’s History Month, let’s help us beautiful women of a certain age look and feel our best with sixty ways to be fabulous in your forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties, and beyond…
Ten For Zen…
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize…
- Choose dentists wisely – be as discerning as you would with any other doctor, and use teeth whitening products. White teeth take years off your face.
- Accessorize; don’t overdo it but definitely use accessories to your best advantage.
- Don’t ever wear stained clothes or apparel with holes or tears, unless they are supposed to be there.
- Wear clothes that fit and float away from the body. Don’t let frumpy become your friend. This goes double for tacky; don’t look cheap.
- Even if you can only afford thrift or mass merchandise store clothes, keep them clean and repaired. Check seams and button holes for the best quality you can afford.
- Get manicures and pedicures – chipped polish and talons are not flattering.
- Wear a decent bra and Spanx or the like.
- Avoid dangerous plastic surgery but non invasive Brazilian butt lifts, face peels, skin tightening, microdermabrasion, and micro-needling can help you look your best.
- Don’t smoke.
Twenty And Plenty…
- Bathe or shower daily.
- Moisturize your eye area; I have used Vaseline and eye cream for years, and it pays off.
- Bangs are cheaper and likely safer than Botox.
- Get some exercise. I love water exercise; dance, yoga – do whatever your mobility level allows.
- Wear whatever you like – age appropriate is what you can rock, however, don’t wear clothes with teddy bears or the like.
- Use a good quality neck cream, whatever you can afford, but expensive doesn’t always mean better.
- Try to avoid stress but if you can’t destress the best you can.
- Be well groomed – razors, tweezers, and waxing are your friends.
- Wear makeup – not too much, not too little.
- Smile, even if your mask hides it – your eyes show it.
Thirty And Flirty…
- Laugh lines mean you laugh and have joy in your life. We have earned every wrinkle.
- Go blonde, it gives the illusion of thickness, hides gray hairs, and adds body.
- Do not wear socks with sandals, or Velcro closure anything, ever.
- Get your rest, eat in color: fruits, veggies, lean protein, and don’t over do sugar.
- Don’t over indulge in alcohol but wine can be a mature woman’s friend.
- Search the net or magazines for hairstyles that flatter mature faces and thinner tresses. Take a photo to show your hair stylist. Avoid gels, opt for mousse. Condition but don’t over condition. Dry shampoos for bangs and the scalp area are helpful.
- Find a skin care regimen that works for you. Never go to bed without washing your face. Wash the makeup and day away but avoid harsh cleansers.
- Don’t blot your lipstick.
- Matte lipsticks are great under a mask but drying. Don’t forget your lip area – lip masks and balm are very important
- Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate…
Forty And Fun…
- Eyebrows need extra care at our age: pencil, gel, henna, and tints are all options to fill in sparse brows.
- Mascara both top and bottom lashes; falsies are in style, go for it…
- A bit of fragrance adds a feminine touch.
- Smart is beautiful.
- Have fun – it will take some years off.
- Have faith – it shows on your face.
- Use heat hair styling appliances sparingly and condition, but be careful of conditioners and hair products that weigh hair down.
- Avoid severe hair styles and extra heavy hair spray.
- I had read someplace that beautiful Martha Stewart starts each day by applying a face mask. I have begun to adopt this daily routine.
- It’s okay to not be twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, sixty or even seventy, beauty is not a number or a size.
Fifty And Nifty…
- Parabens, mineral oil, and petroleum, I do avoid but admit to using petroleum jelly. Try coconut oil for a natural alternative.
- Avoid chemicals, preservatives, artificial flavors or colors, and processed food.
- Wear Betsey Johnson and Norma Kamali; at what age do we stop having fun with our clothes and accessories? Never.
- Be cautious and educated before trying a new beauty procedure of any kind.
- Tried and true microdermabrasion is a great exfoliating treatment, salon or home based – it gets rid of dead skin cells; use a firming moisturizer to follow.
- Products containing retinol, hyaluronic acid, and salicylic acid are helpful. A good facial with extraction will remove blackheads safely.
- Avoid adult acne with proper cleansing and use heavy moisturizers, especially those containing oils, in moderation. A little goes a long way.
- Minoxidil for women and supplements such as biotin for hair, skin, and nails are excellent for women our age, as our hair thins.
- Don’t sleep on your face and keep linens, especially pillowcases, very clean.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate – drink plenty of water. We filter our tap water and I love bottled water, especially Evian.
Sixty Is Sexy…
- Avoid saturated fats, but opt for healthy fats such as nuts, salmon and the like.
- Don’t experiment with new skin or hair care before a major event; this goes double for haircuts and beauty procedures.
- We all have an overly enthusiastic friend, family member, or colleague that sells a direct market cosmetic line that is working wonders for them, maybe we sell a line ourselves, but don’t feel obligated to buy, use what works for you. Don’t expect to look twenty again; be realistic in choosing skin care but good dermal maintenance is a must.
- Pets are a blessing – they help us destress and show lots of love. Show your love to an animal, it will show on your beautiful face.
- Maintain excellent posture – don’t slouch still holds true. Hold your tummy in, your shoulders back and down. Strut like you mean it, knee brace and all.
- If you can no longer wear stilettos, there are many attractive shoes out there with lower heels or flats.
- Make your own homemade beauty products. Find recipes online or experiment. It’s a great way to use up recently outdated fruits, yogurt, cucumbers, or the like. Coffee grinds make a great cellulite treatment but can be a bit of a mess to use.
- We all know what Elle Woods says about endorphins: “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy.” Sex is exercise – just saying…
- Live life like Elle after Warner tells her she is not smart enough for Harvard Law.
- “And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance…” Dancing will give you endorphins…
Ready, Set, Grow!
Go for it, beautiful woman of a certain age – you are stunning…